Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Delayed Call {Book Review}


Title: Delayed Call 
Series: The Assassins Series #11
Author: Toni Aleo
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Sports Romance

Book Description:

Vaughn Johansson is the Nashville Assassins' star player. He's brash, cocky, and talented. And he isn't afraid to let anyone know it. He lives his life on his own terms, never forming romantic attachments, and only allowing his very closest to see his true, caring self.

Brie Soledad has the weight of the world on her shoulders. As the staff reporter for the Assassins, she balances her high-profile job and its heavy travel schedule with being the sole provider for her adult brother with Down syndrome. Sure, she'd like to find love. But who has time for that when there are bills to pay?

Brie has been the match to Vaughn's gasoline since the day she first held out her microphone to him. They strike sparks off each other, keeping their friends, the team, and the Assassins fans in stitches. Brie’s refusal to fawn over Vaughn sets his teeth on edge and his blood boiling. Especially in that body part... 

Brie's been let down by love before, but she knows she deserves nothing less than real, forever love. Vaughn's past has left deep, hidden scars, and there are some secrets he cannot bear to reveal. As much as Brie wants him, Vaughn may be too big a risk for her wary heart to take. But he is at his best under pressure. When the delayed call is in effect and he has no choice but to score, Vaughn always delivers.

My Review:

So I'm not going to start this review with how excited I was about reading this book, because I was super excited. I'm not going to mention how big of a fan of Mrs. Aleo, I am. Or how long I have been a fan of hers. 

I do want to start this review by being brutally honest and say that the first half of this book annoyed  the royal heck out of me. Or more like Vaughn and Brie annoyed the heck out of me. To me their bickering and probably what most would call bantering back and forth, was quite childish. 

I will admit that the second half of the book was much better. After Brie and Vaughn stopped "hating" each other. 

I did like Brie. She's tough and independent. She's fiercely protective of her brother Rodney and you can tell and feel the love she has for him. I can understand where she was coming from. 

Gosh Vaughn, Vaughn, Vaughn. I really felt for him. Although he is evidently the resident bad boy play boy of the team, I didn't see that from him. He's definitely closed off because of what happened with him. But you can see all the good he is doing underneath that tough exterior. 

I thought this was a good read even though the first half annoyed me. I did find it enjoyable. I mean where can you go wrong with hockey and of course the Assassins is one of my favorite series. 

I'm giving this book 4 Stars out of 5!!!!!





Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from Ardent Prose Promotions for my honest review. The opinions in this post are 100% of Busy Bumble Bee Book Reviews and may differ from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment