Friday, January 30, 2015

Devil You Know (Butcher Boys 1) {Book Review}


Title: Devil You Know

Author: Max Henry

Genre: Dark Contemporary

Book Description:

** DEVIL YOU KNOW IS A DARK CONTEMPORARY, DEALING WITH THE SUBJECT OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ** 

Love. 

How do you define it? I guess it’s up to the individual. Love can be a sweet gesture of flowers on your anniversary. Love can be a meal waiting at home after a long day at work. Love can be a gentle caress. Or the unspoken words in your lover’s eyes. 

Love isn’t a backhand, given because of a warm beer. Love isn’t wearing long-sleeves to hide bruises from the ladies at the supermarket. 

I thought I’d never experience love. Such emotion didn’t seem to fit with what I had—who I was. 

But he stepped in, and showed me his. 

He pulled me from the dark abyss I had lost myself to, and showed me the simple things which could bring such joy. Sun on my face. The smell of fresh coffee. Colours in the autumn leaves. All the little things. 

He shows me these things, but he doesn’t share in them. He knows happiness, but he doesn’t feel it. He will give love, but never accept it. 

He saved me. Now it’s my turn to return the favour … 

My Review:

This is the first book I have read from author Max Henry. I wasn't sure what to expect from this book or from a new author to me. I just thought that the synopsis sounded really good and I was only hoping I was right. And boy was I right this book starts out with a bang. I do have to admit that even though this book starts off with a very touchy subject. I think it was dealt with in a very tasteful way. 

The book starts off in Jane's POV and stays that way through most of the book. Jane pulls you into her character with her story. Even though she is not in a good situation with her husband. There is still a strength she has hidden underneath it all. 

Malice Malice Malice.... He is such a mysterious character. I mean really you don't even learn his name until chapter 9. And even than it's not his name. Well it's kinda his name... Through the first half of the book you he's there, but he's not really there. Malice's character is dark and it's obvious there's a lot going on with him to. 

I really enjoyed this book and enjoyed the way the story flowed. Even though it's not your typical romance and there were other things that both Jane and Malice had to work through to be together. It worked for these characters and worked well for the book. 

             I give this book 4 out of 5 Stars and would recommend it. I can't wait to read more from Max Henry and can't wait to read the next book in The ButcherBoy's. 






You can purchase Devil You Know on  AmazonB & NiBooks and on Kobo

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from the author for my honest review. The opinions in this post are 100% of my own and may differ from others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment