Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Listen Pitch {Book Review}



Title: Listen Pitch
Series: There’s No Crying in Baseball
Author: Lani Lynn Vale
Genre: Sports Romance

Book Description:

Rhys Rivera is the star short-stop for the Longview Lumberjacks. Many know him, even more love him. He has a pretty face, a quick smile, and an air of danger about him that everyone seems to adore.

He’s not known as the bad boy of baseball for nothing.

It all started with his father, who decided to be a criminal mob boss, then die.

Fortunately for his uncle, Rhys wants absolutely nothing to do with the family business and runs before anyone can figure out which way is up.

By the time his uncle, the successor to his father’s criminal empire, thinks to look for him, Rhys has made too big of a name for himself to be taken out quietly, and he wants to keep it that way.

Fast forward eight years, and Rhys is living life one breath at a time, just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

That shoe coming in the form of a nosy neighbor who has no idea just how hot she is in her mail carrier uniform.

Her sweet little body and positive outlook on life make him want to laugh at how naïve she is when it comes to the way of the world.

The harder he tries to stay away, the weaker he seems to get, until one day he decides to put his morals on hold long enough to satisfy his cravings.

One time is all he needs—or so he tells himself.


But then two pink lines change everything, and all of a sudden, he doesn’t have just himself to worry about anymore.

My Review:

So I'm going to start this review off a little differently this time. If your a fan of Mrs. Vales or continuely follow Mrs. Vales books, or even if Mrs. Vale is a new author to you. There is one thing that I continuely see people ask Mrs. Vale where does this book fit in with the others. Well this is the third book in the There's No Crying in Baseball series and this one lucky comes quickly after the second book Quit Your Pitchin' (because we kind of had a wait for the second book). And if your familiar with the author you know that all of her books are tied together in some way or another. This book is no different and is tied to The Simple Man series, mainly tied to Tyler's book Too Bad So Sad. Now the author does mention at the beginning of this book that this book is before Tyler's story, so if you've read Too Bad So Sad and get a little confused that is why. Alright so enough with the book lessons and on to my review.

I have really liked Rhys' character since the beginning of this series. And I couldn't wait to find out more about him. Rhys comes from a bit of a different background, as in his father was the former Mob Boss of Chicago, before he was killed. And well his mother is a adult movie enterainer. You could tell that Rhys was just looking for some kind of normal and not wanting to have anything to do with his past life, well except for his sister. Though that changes when his past comes crashing back into his life like a freight train. As mentioned at the beginning I have really liked Rhys throughout this series, and that didn't change this book. I thought Rhys was sweet, kind, and caring.

I liked Henley. I thought she was a super sweet, kind, caring character. Rememberable? Probably not. She's Tyler's (from Too Bad So Sad) little sister. I thought that she didn't let the fact that she was deaf hold her back. In fact it made her a bit sassier if you know what I mean.

I first want to say that this book was an enjoyable read. But I will say this as far as this being like a "Baseball" book and being part of the There's No Crying in Baseball series, I kind of felt like it was lacking. Though his baseball teammates made appearences, this book wasn't like the first two. I kind of felt like Mrs. Vale focused more on the fact of Rhys' past and his mob past and threw that drama into the book. And I just felt as if it didn't really fit this series. And I don't want to say it didn't make sense, because I understood the book. But the whole plot of this book didn't make sense for this series, if you know what I mean. But other than that I did enjoy the book and getting to know Rhys and Henley.

I'm giving this book 3.5 Stars out of 5!!!




Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from Enticing Journey Book Promotions for my honest review. The opinions in this post are 100% of Busy Bumble Bee Book Reviews and may differ from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment