Sunday, March 15, 2020

Dance For Me {Book Review}

     

Title: Dance For Me 
Series: Alder Academy, Book One
Author: Erin Trejo 
Genre: Academy, Bully, Dark Romance

Book Description:

She was a job. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

I followed my father's orders like usual until I was tired of being used. 
Whisper was a casuality of our world. One that I decided I wanted to keep more than I wanted to ruin. 
She was a challenge that I liked. Even though I still wanted to break her, I wanted more.
Yet I knew the punishment I would face if I chose to keep her around. 
Is she worth it?

My Review

So I have to say I've been reading Mrs. Trejo's books for awhile now so I know what to expect with them. I also have to say I have been reading Academy type books, Bully books, and Dark Romance books for a long while now so nothing surprises me about them anymore. Now I haven't read a book from Mrs. Trejo in awhile now, and I thought this one sounded awesome and different from what she usually writes and would be a great book to jump back into her books with. Unfornutely this one became a big flop for me quickly and I'll let you know why down below. 

     Female Lead, Deceased/Missing Parents? Check
     Bullying on point? Check
     Some mysterious background stuff going on?: Check

      I'm not entirely sure why author's always feel the need to make the lead character either have deceased/missing or single parent characters in these Academy and Bully books. Honestly I'm just kind of over that aspect of these books.

     Bullying in a bully book I can handle. I mean that's the point of a bully book your either going to get a lot of it or its going to be kind of light. This book had a mis mash of it. 

     Another thing that really bugs me is when an author writes an Academy book but also throws in anothor vibe to it. Like a Mafia-ish type vibe. I'm sorry but if your going to write an Academy book please please please just stick with the Academy theme. All this extra secretive background stuff just doesn't belong in it.

    Let's get to Whisper, by the way I love the character's name. But that's all I about love of her. Right off the bat I found myself rolling my eyes at her character. Whisper has found herself in the foster care system all of her life. And although she acts like she tough and all, she really came off as soft and a pushover. She kind of just goes along with whatever the Alder boys want.

    Hmmm the Alder boy's Steele, Knox, and Callen. The run the school and evidently the town. Steele definitely gave off more of the je*kish vibe and never really redeemed himself. Knox was back and forth for me. And of course Callen was the most likable for me. 

    I really wanted to like this book. I really did, but unfortunately with the first three chapters I just found myself rolling my eyes ALOT. I never really felt the chemistry between Whisper and Steele. And also the first few steamy scenes what was up with those? I felt as if they were written by someone completely different than what Mrs. Trejo usually writes in her steamy scenes. 

    Unfortunately I can only give this book 3 Stars out of 5 and I don't think I'll be returning to Alder Academy!!!

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from Wildfire Marketing Solutions for my honest review. The opinions in this post our 100% of Busy Bumble Bee Book Reviews and may differ from others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment